Friday, September 7, 2012

Keeping Your Eyes on Christ


September 1, 2012

Dear Friends,

            This past week I spent several days gathering documents to complete our church’s loan application for the Legacy Project.
            One of the documents that I was looking for was the By Laws of the church.  After an afternoon of searching countless minute books and records, I found out that back in 1937, our church’s Articles of Incorporation and By Laws were merged as one document.
            If I have bored you with this paper search, bear with me for just a little longer in my transition.
            One fact as I read countless years of consistory notes that covered decades of church existence is that periodically the question was asked “What is our mission as a church?”
            As I returned these historical minutes back to the vault, that question echoed in my mind.
            My mission as your pastor is to clearly and passionately remind us at First Reformed of our mission as a church.
            If I don’t, I have failed first and foremost in helping define and develop our vision and our reason to exist.
            What is our mission?  Look no further than our mission statement.  “Impacting Lives for Christ.”
            I know there are many theological variances that can bring this statement into further depth but in a nutshell, we exist to “Impact people for Christ.”
            We do this first by being committed to our creator God and responding to His love.
            We do this by living lives for Christ.  Being the hands and feet of Jesus!
            Digging into all those minutes reminded me of the ways we have done mission in the past.  Thus, for present and future generations of this church, we have to be clear and ever diligent as we live our mission statement.
            As we do so it becomes clear that ministry is a marathon.  It’s not how you start that matters but how you end!
            Let’s keep our eyes on Christ!  Impacting Lives for Christ!
           

God is good!

Pastor Wayne Sneller

No comments:

Post a Comment