Monday, June 20, 2011

General Synod Day #2

Today in General Synod-Grand Rapids, Michigan- Calvin College  -Friday June 17, 2011
The day was spent most in advisory meetings. These are meetings where you are pared up with individuals from all over the RCA . The advisory group gives impute and suggestions to the Synod on issues of the Synod's business. I have 15 in my group. There are pastors and elders that come from all over the United States and Canada. What I see different about the groups from the past is that they are getting younger. We have many individuals in their 30's. That must mean I am getting older!!!

-The afternoon was spent in full synod meetings where the nomination process of our General Secretary was reviewed. This happens very seldom as we do not change General Secretaries very often. Our present Secretary is retiring after serving 17 years. The General Secretary is like a Director. His job is to be the mouth piece of the RCA and a moderator. Our proposed new General Secretary is Tom DeVries, a pastor from Michigan who is in his mid 40's.

The Synod will meets tonight until 9 p.m.   Tomorrow (Sat.) we begin at 6:45 a.m.

Summary of today

 What I see in the RCA is a greater diversity than I have ever seen before. A figure was given that almost 65% of the new church starts (which number about 100 in the past three years) are of multiracial diversity. That is Asian, Hispanic and Black churches being started. Pastors and church members were introduced before the synod.

Status of Social Life-hang around with a lot of ministers. Everyone is older than I remember!!

Dorm Life-Hot

Tech skill- learning to type better with my computer.(Remember synod has gone green. No paper-everything computer!

Things to look forward to- I get to exchange my towel for a new one tomorrow!!!!  It's towel exchange day!!!!

Signing off from Synod,

Your pastor,
Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment